September 11, 2012

Character Analysis for Monologue #1

Hi everyone! I just thought I'd update you all on the progress of my independent study class.
  • I'm finally enrolled in the class.
  • The class is called Audition Preparation.
  • I meet with my adviser every two weeks. So, we have two Thursdays each on September and October. I don't know what goes after that.
  • My first monologue is from the play Flipzoids by Ralph B. Pena. I really suggest reading it. It's a powerful play.
  • I've already memorized the monologue. I still struggle about what to do with myself. Do I stand still? Do I pace? What mannerisms does my character have? What do I do with my hands?!!!

Embedded image permalink

I think I've also found my comedic monologue, thanks to my rehearsal class with Mr. Robert Foxworth. I will talk about that in a different post.

Oh, and finally, since it is Tuesday, I got another chance to chat with Marsha Thomason on Twitter! Seriously, I feel so lucky when she replies to my tweet. I'm such a nerd :)

2 comments:

Ralph Pena said...

Hi there. Here's my suggestion. Don't worry to much about what to do with your hands, or how to stand. Focus, instead, on what Vangie wants in the scene. She wants to belong to the images in the glass ceiling. What's in her way is her mother, who keeps disturbing the perfect image she imagines. What does Vangie do to bring that image to life, and what does she do to remove her mother from the picture? That should guide your actions in the monologue. Apologizing to Ms. Gucci comes from wanting to be accepted. Look for the truth in what she's saying. Find what's beautiful about Vangie. Don't judge her. Play that and your hands will follow.

Thanks for choosing the play. I'm thrilled it's getting some use.

Ralph

Arianne said...

Thank you so much for the advice! My professor has given me great points the other day and she helped me find what was deep inside Vangie, instead of just the surface. I really love your play. I'm hoping I can perform the whole play one day.

Post a Comment